Chana masala or chole is a common dish available in every Indian restaurant. It is very popular among hosts as it is easy to make and loved by one and all.
Growing up in South India I was always fascinated with the north India culture especially punjabi. Everything punjabi from dresses to cuisine is loved by the entire nation and is spread across the world. Indian food is symbolised in India restaurant with majority of punjabi dishes of paneer, tikka masala, paranthas and the list goes on.
Everyone has their own version of chana masala and I was never happy with my version and hunted for recipes to get that perfect chana masala recipe until one my punjabi friends mom made this dish. I loved the tangy creamy gravy which complimented the bland taste of the protien rich chole. Tried it myself after getting the recipe and quite pleased with the result ! Make this dish when you have guests over and it will surely be a hit !
- Chickpea (chole or chane )-1 1/2 cup ( soaked overnight and cook in the same water until soft )
- Onion- 1 -2 (chopped finely)
- Tomato-- 1-2 (chopped finely )
- Potato --1 small ( boiled and mashed )
- Organic tomato paste --2 tablespoons
- Kasoori methi--1 tablespoons
- Chilli powder--1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder--1/2 teaspoon
- Everest chole masala (1/2 teaspoon) --optional
- Masala-- (dry roast on pan and grind it )
- Coriander seeds--1 teaspoon
- Peppers--1/2 teaspoons
- Shahjeera- 1 teaspoon
- Jeera--1 teaspoon
- Dried red chillies--3-4
- cinnamon stick--1/2
Take a wide pan and add oil to it . Fry the chopped onions, turmeric powder ,jeera powder and fry until oil seperates, add the tomatoes and kasuri methi. Fry for some time in low heat and add tomato paste along with the masala powder. Fry this for about 10-15 minutes until the mixture is cooked and oil leaves the sided of the pan. Add the chole along with the water, mashed potato and add salt. Cook for another 8-10 minutes and take it off . Add some lemon juice when cool and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot.