Okra or Bhindi is one of my favourite vegetables. I was happy to find a huge vegetable farm near our house and bought loads of fresh okra for a get together which was planned for the weekend. The curry was an instant hit with the crowd and the freshness surely contributed to the taste. Okra is rich in fiber and vitamins and when blended with spices and partnered with colorful peppers makes a delicious dish.
- Okra(Bhindi)--1 pound
- Onion--1 (cut into pieces)
- Peppers (Capsicum)--1-2 (cut into square shaped pieces) You can use any green or colored peppers
- Tomato--1 (cut into pieces)
- Turmeric powder--1/4 teaspoon
- Asafetida( hing)
- Coriander seeds--1/2 tablespoon
- Cumin powder--1/2 tablespoon
- Red Chilli powder--1 teaspoon
- Ajwain--1/4 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
Add oil to a pan and heat it on medium flame. Add the onions and sauté. Grind all the masalas and add to the onions. Add turmeric , hing and saute for few seconds. Add the okra and peppers and saute for around 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cover the pan and cook for around 7-8 minutes on low flame till the vegetables get cooked. Season with salt and serve hot with chapati or roti.