Sabudana Khichdi is mainly consumed during fasting days like ekadashi or Shivaratri. I used to observe fast in order to have my share in the Sabudana Khichdi! All the food prepared during that time is so delicious, it makes the fasting worth it. Now we prepare this dish at home all the time ...without the fast of course!
I tried different brands and found swad ,deep and laxmi better than rest of them. The recipe for khichdi is quite simple and quick after the sabudana is ready.
- Soaking the sabudana in right amount of water is very crucial for a successful dish.Take a bowl and soak 1 cup sabudana in water. Take just the right amount of water to barely soak the sabudana and remove the remaining. keep it aside for 6-8 hours.
- Peanut powder --Half cup ( make powder with dry roasted peanuts which are readily available)
- Potatoes--2 if small peeled and cut into small pieces
- Jeera--1 teaspoon
- Green chillies--3-4
- Chilli powder--quarter teaspoon
- Lime juice --1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Salt to taste
Take the soaked sabudana and add peanut powder,salt,chill powder and mix well. Keep aside
Take oil in a pan and when hot add jeera to it when it crackles add the potatoes,green chillies and sauté them for some time. Cover the potatoes until soft for around five minutes. Now add the sabudana and mix well. Cover this mixture for another 5--7 minutes stirring occasionally. Changing color is an indicator that it is ready . Take out when done and serve. Garnish with chopped coriander and lime juice. It tastes great with some yogurt too.