It is festival time everywhere and celebrations are in full swing with lots of enthusiasm in the air. We enjoyed the colorful navratri by going to the musical dandiya , which is so full of life and buzzing with so many people dancing to the rhythmic beats.
Food, especially sweets are an integral part of any festival and are used for prasadam for the almighty as well as share them among your friends and family.
At home my friend suggested we make some traditional boondi ladoo, I was very doubtful as I never made them and thought it is a difficult job of producing the small pearl like boondi and forming it into a ladoo. But it turned out to be very easy and quick recipe with fresh tasting ladoo which tasted so different and better than store bought one's. Thank you Jyothsna for sharing your recipe!
- Besan (Gram flour)--2 cups
- Water--1 1/4th cup water
- Make a paste of besan and water and keep aside . It forms a very thin and flowy paste.
- Sugar -- 2 cups
- Water -1 and 1/2 cup water
- Cardamon powder--1 teaspoon
- Raisins--1 tablespoon
- Cashews (optional)--1 Tablespoon (chopped finely)
- To make sugar syrup combine water, sugar, cardamon powder and boil for about 15 minutes until one string consistency is formed. As the sugar syrup is boiling start making boondi. Please see notes section for additional information on how to make one string consistency sugar syrup.
- Heat oil in a pan and pour the besan batter over the boondi spoon as tiny droplets of bundi are formed in the oil. Take it out as soon as the boondi pops up and put it in a bowl.
- As the sugar syrup gets ready pour the boondi in it, add the raisins and press it to squeeze excess syrup thus forming a round ladoo . Reshape the ladoo once it cools down to form a perfectly shaped ladoo.
- To check one string consistency take the syrup between your forefinger and thumb, a thin string is formed and then you know the syrup is ready to use.
- You can buy the big spoon to make boondi in any Indian store.
- Dont make the boondi crispy or golden as it becomes hard and cannot absorb the sugar syrup well.